I don’t have a big sweet tooth, I have always preferred a big bag of chips, pizza or sandwich over desserts. However, I do have a weakness for cheesecake, but given my response to sugar laden desserts (I’m like a 5 year old, that has just guzzled a litre of red cordial) I don’t like to consume them too often. So it seemed like the perfect time to make a version that was free of all the empty calories that are in more traditional recipes. I love playing around with raw vegan desserts, they are fun, easy, super yummy and have minimal ingredients. I am also a sucker for lemon and lime, so these mini cheesecakes taste like a mix between a New York cheesecake and a lime tart, you’re going to love them (they even pass the boyfriend test – in fact I think to date, he has consumed more than I have!) They are the perfect combination of creamy and tart, and they a mega more-ish, so just be careful not to over indulge.
Makes 10-12 small cheesecakes – GF, DF, VG
7 medjool dates
2/3 cup raw cashews
2/3 cup desiccated coconut
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 cup soaked cashews
2/3 cup light coconut cream
2/3 cup almond milk
1 tbsp. rice malt syrup
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1 Lime (juiced, and zest grated)
1/2 Lemon (juiced)
Coconut oil to grease baking tray
- Before making the cheesecakes, soak cashews for the filling in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Place all ingredients for the base in a food processor and process until well combined. The mixture will begin to stick together.
- Lightly oil a muffin tray with coconut oil. Scoop out roughly a heaped tablespoon of the base, and press mixture firmly into the each muffin tray with fingers. Try to pack it down firmly as this will be the base of the cheesecake. Put in freezer to begin setting.
- In the food processor (or blender works well for this stage), add the soaked cashew nuts and all the other ingredients listed above for the filling. Blend/process until the mixture becomes thick, creamy and well combined.
- Pour the mixture on top of the base layer and return to freezer to set for 1-3 hours.
- When mini cheesecakes are set, they can be loosened from the muffin tray with a butter knife, they should pop right out!
- Let thaw slightly for 5 minutes out of the freezer before consuming for maximum yum-ness!
- These cheesecakes need to be kept in the freezer in an air tight container, and will keep for about 1-2 weeks.
- The longer these have been kept in the freezer, I find they benefit from letting thaw just a little bit longer such as 5-10 minutes. Give it a go however, if you like them a bit harder you can eat them sooner!