This is going to be the start of many slow cooked recipes on this blog. I am a huge fan of slow cooked meals. Actually, I should rephrase; I am a huge fan of EASY slow cooked meals. I love coming home from work to a house that smells incredible from a meal that has been cooking all day, that I was able to put in the cooker before work without much fuss. This recipe is fantastic because its one of those recipes that is low fuss and super nutritious, is packed full of vegetables and contains red lentils which are rich in protein! I also love a thick curry, so the rice is added to the slow cooker and the end result is thick, creamy curry, YUM! So without further ado – lets get to it!
Serves 8-10, VG, DF, GF, NS
2 cups red lentils
1 cup sweet potato, chopped into 2cm cubes
1 cup butternut pumpkin, chopped into 2cm cubes
3 large carrots, chopped into 2cm chunks
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons ginger, minced
1½ tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground fennel
½ teaspoon garam masala
1 tsp salt
1 x 400mL can low fat coconut milk
1 x 375mL can diced tomatoes
2 ½ cups vegetable stock
¼ cup aborio rice
lime wedges and coriander to garnish
- Rinse lentils in a sieve under running water until water runs clear.
- Once rinsed, combine all ingredients in the slow cooker (excluding the rice), cover with the stock, tomatoes and coconut milk, place lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 30-40 minutes before ready to serve, add the rice and stir in.
- Garnish with lime and coriander.
- If you love spice like I do – feel free to add chili to this recipe.
- If you would prefer to cook rice separately and then add it to the curry, go ahead!